Are you the type of business professional who visits with prospects and clients on a regular basis? If so, it often feels like you're spending more time in their office than your own.
While this is a common scenario for businesspeople, you must take into consideration your safety. And there is more to this than the transportation to and from your destination. Did you know that you could be involved in a slip-and-fall accident as the result of dangerous floor conditions?
The primary causes
Even if you do your best to watch the ground in front of you, knowing that dangers lurk from time to time, it's difficult to do so at all times. For this reason, if a hazard pops up out of nowhere, it could lead to a serious accident.
Here are some of the primary causes of slip-and-fall accidents as they relate to dangerous floor conditions:
- Lack of adequate warnings, such as a sign noting that the floor is wet or being cleaned.
- Failure to use a barrier to keep pedestrians off of a floor that could cause a slip and fall.
- Using an excessive amount of polish or wax. Along with this, there are also dangers associated with using polish or wax on stairs.
- Uneven distribution of polish or wax, resulting in changing conditions when walking.
- Using a floor treatment product on an incline or decline.
- Worn or torn flooring, such as carpet that is curling on the edge.
- Items that are lodged in flooring, thus leading to the possibility of catching a person's foot.
These are among the primary floor conditions that can cause a slip-and-fall accident, but there are others to be aware of. Any time you're visiting a commercial building, do your best to watch out for these hazards.
Even with the best intentions, you could still be injured in a slip-and-fall accident. If this happens, do these four things:
- Receive immediate medical treatment.
- Notify the building's owner of what happened.
- Collect evidence as soon as possible.
- Learn more about your legal rights with an eye toward receiving compensation for your injuries.
When you take these steps, you'll feel better about the future as well as your ability to put the accident in the past.